Braised Y-Bone Steak with Beer & Caramelised Onion
One of the most flavoursome steaks is the beef Y-Bone and as managing director Duncan Brown demonstrates, it can be incredibly simple to create! Don’t be put off by the bone within the steak… the surrounding meat has a texture and moisture unrivalled in a cut at this price. And the best thing is most people have these ingredients in the pantry! Watch the recipe here (2 mins).
- 2 x Brisbane Valley Farm Direct beef Y-Bone steak (350grams each)
- 1 medium brown onion diced and sautéed
- Blistered cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Shallots (two table spoons)
- Salt and pepper
- Chives (tablespoon)
- Smoked paprika (table spoon)
- Garlic (two cloves)
- Can of beer (Great Northern mi strength in this case)
- Chicken stock (half a cup)
- Cream (half a cup)
- Worcestershire sauce (two table spoons)
Bring Y bones to room temperature before massaging in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and seal in hot pan. Remove from pan once lightly browned (not cooked).
Sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add Worcestershire sauce and beer and reduce.
Add stock and Y-Bones and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Remove Y-bones and reduce sauce by half before adding cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour sauce over Y-bones and top with shallots and chives. Serve with blistered cherry tomatoes and enjoy!