Sausage Casserole with Pasta
Forget multiple pots on the stove! For the time poor family, this one-pot tasty sausage pasta dish is a family favourite! Yields enough for hungry kids with enough for lunch the next day. Serves family of 4-5.
- 500g Brisbane Valley Farm Direct beef sausages (cut into large chunks)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (alternatively use anise, dill or caraway seeds)
- 2 cups of uncooked penne pasta
- 2.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 diced tomatoes
- 1 large capsicum (or 2 small), diced and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil for garnish
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the sausage slices, onion, capsicum and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion sweats (is tender and translucent) and the sausage is cooked (about 5-7 minutes).
Add the tomato paste and stir. Add in the chopped kale, diced tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, and fennel seed (or alternative).
Add in penne pasta and stock. Stir until combined. Cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until pasta is al dente.
Remove lid, stir and add in the fresh mozzarella cheese.
Stir and cook until cheese is melted. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.