Thai Chicken Red Curry with Rice
Easy to prepare and easier to cook, this simple family meal is cheap and takes minimum effort. Perfect to use immediately after receiving your BVFD meatbox to avoid freezing chicken! Serves family of 4.
- 650g Brisbane Valley Farm Direct chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1.5 cups rice (jasmine or brown)
- Salt to season
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk (can use coconut cream for more flavour)
- 1.5 teaspoons of coconut or raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar or fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 1 medium capsicum, green or red (sliced)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (i.e. 1 cup)
- Serve with: fresh basil and/or chilli flakes.
Coat the BVFD chicken in the red Thai curry paste and cover until ready to cook. For best results leave for an hour… keep in mind this will increase the strength of spicy flavour.
Cook rice, allowing time to drain and fluff with fork before serving.
Heat pan and add oil. Cook onion with salt and cook, stirring often, until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add ginger and garlic and cook until sweats (fragrant and softens).
Add the capsicum and carrots. Cook until soft (about 3 – 5 minutes) and stir. Remove from heat.
Rinse pan and reheat adding oil. Cook marinated chicken until hot, stirring continuously.
Add the coconut milk, water and sugar, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the veggies have softened to your liking (about 5 to 10 minutes), stirring often.
Remove the pot from the heat and season with rice vinegar/lime juice to add greater acidity, or more soy sauce for flavour punch. Add salt (more if desired to suit taste preference).
To serve separate rice and curry into bowls and garnish with basil and chilli flakes.